Home-cooked Badak Berendam (glutionous rice balls in coconut sauce) for my tea-time.. one of the traditional desserts you can find in Singapore, Malaysia or Indonesia.
In this recipe, I used meshed potatoes beside the glutinous rice flour for the dough-making.
The Filling :-
INGREDIENTS for the Filling
- 2 cups Grated Coconut (white part only)
- 250ml Water
- 100 grams Sugar
- 100 grams Brown Sugar
- 100 grams Palm Sugar
- 2 Pandan Leaf (tie into a knot)
- 1 tablespoon Glutinous Rice Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
METHOD in making the Filling
- Add all sugar and pandan leaf into pot of water; and cook till dissolves.
- Add grated coconut and pandan leaf and stir over low heat till sugar dissolves.
- Finally mix the glutinous rice flour and salt.
- Set aside to cool.
The Dough :-
INGREDIENTS for the Dough
- 600 grams Glutinous Rice Flour
- 350 grams Potatoes
- 4 Pandan Leaf (pound)
- 500 ml Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Green Colouring (optional)
METHOD in making the Dough
- Add the pounded pandan leaf, warm water, sugar and colouring (optional) in a bowl.
- Peal the potatoes skin and mesh.
- Mix well all ingredients into a smooth dough.
- Knead well and divide dough into small equal portions.
- Form into balls.
- Make a well in the centre and spoon filling ingredients in.
- Seal the hole and reshape into balls.
- Put few balls at a time into a pot of boiling water.
- Once the balls float to the surface, strain and put the balls on a tray.
The Cream Sauce :-
INGREDIENTS for the Cream Sauce
- 300 ml Coconut Milk
- 700 ml Water
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 5 Pandan Leaf
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch
METHOD in making the Cream Sauce
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and cook over low heat until sauce thickens.
- Turn off heat and pour sauce into a bowl, put aside and ready to serve.
Badak Berendam is to be served by pouring the coconut cream sauce over the balls.